FAQ and Useful Information
Our Gift Vouchers offer amazing memories that last! You can even include yourself for a fantastic shared experience.
Helpful information on how to use gift vouchers can be viewed here.
You can use the following form to purchase a gift voucher:
Choosing a Boat
The best option for beginners!
Our Drifter II’s are our paddlers’ favourite by a mile. Their stability and roominess inspires confidence the moment you sit down.
They are usually paddled by two people using double-bladed paddles however they are so easily maneuvered that the person in the back can handle the whole boat making it perfect for parent/child combos or taking someone out who can’t paddle.
They have a very large single cockpit (2m x 53cm) and carry a combined weight of 180kg.
- Stable and confidence-building.
- Some cover for the front person’s legs.
- Elastic desk straps to hold your map.
- Storage space behind the rear seat.
- Parent/child combos
- People uncomfortable with small cockpits
- Day trips only (due to the limited storage space)
Our single kayaks provide comfort, fun and independence.
They provide very good protection from the elements and are the least affected by varied river conditions.
If you are extra tall, request a Discovery 15 (cockpit length 1.28m).
Our single kayaks can offer:
- Elastic deck straps
- Waterproof compartments
- Optional rudder
- Moulded seats and backrests
- Anyone 10 years or older and physically healthy
- People inexperienced with kayaking
- Day trips and overnight camping
Canoes fit two adults and can take a child or two on the middle seat. They provide lots of space for camping or picnic gear.
If some of your group would be uncomfortable with a rocking boat, we recommend the double kayaks for your first trip.
Canoes are paddled by the front and rear person focusing on opposite sides of the boat with a short single-bladed paddle.
These are open boats that can be affected by wind if you are traveling on the open river. Use sun protection for your legs.
- Experienced adults with children too young to paddle
- People with limited hip and/or knee mobility
- Campers who need significant storage room
Tandem Touring Kayaks
- Expeditioners who need a tandem kayak with ability to take a spray deck.
What to Wear
You will need a hat and sunglasses, and a strap to keep them secure.
Long-sleeved shirts provide the best protection. Shorts are OK but ¾ pants and trousers provide better sun and mosquito protection. A stretchy material is the most comfortable if you get wet (cotton clings and restricts your movement).
Consider wearing water-shoes or sneakers without socks.
Sunscreen and Bug Repellents
We strongly recommend using sunscreen. If you will be out at sunset and/or dawn we also recommend mosquito repellents.
What to Bring
- Bottle of drinking water each (1 litre per person, per hour recommended on hot days).
- A towel can double as sun protection for your legs.
- You may like to bring a waterproof camera (dry bags available).
- A picnic lunch can help make for a perfect outing. Check out the Paringa Bakery on your way here.
- Anything else that you could require during the trip, such as Ventolin puffers.
Additional Items for Hire
We also hire other equipment while you are here. Ask about:
- Camping gear – tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, gas cooker, seats, lantern
- Transport equipment – soft roof racks, kayak trolley, kayak ties
- Kayak extras – waterproof bags and barrels, spray decks
Items for Sale
- The Murray River is very safe due to locks and weirs that control the currents. Watch our blog for any updates on conditions.
As per our cancellation policy, we will notify you to cancel or modify your plans if conditions require it.
- There are no crocodiles anywhere in the Murray River.
- It is rare to see snakes as they are afraid of humans and will usually disappear before you even notice them. Remaining calm and still near snakes will allow them to comfortably leave the area.
- River Red Gums can sometimes drop large branches. We recommend you avoid sitting or camping under them and instead choose other shady trees.
- You may like to visit the next section “Our Qualifications”
Canoe the Riverland is owned and operated by Jim & Ruth Roberts through River Forge Pty Ltd, a fully insured and registered company.
Jim and Ruth are both accredited kayak and canoe instructors through Paddle Australia.
Jim is a qualified teacher having many years experience in secondary Catholic schools.
Ruth is a Registered Nurse with a Masters in Business Administration. Having kayaked solo the length of the Murray River, she loves helping others discover the beauty and relaxation waiting to be discovered.
Both Jim & Ruth hold current:
- Police clearances
- First aid certificates
- Child-related employment screening as required by the Department for Education and Child Development
We reserve the right to reroute, reschedule or cancel tours or hire under the following conditions:
- The wind is over 30kph
- Thunderstorms are forecast
- Total fire ban days
- Strong currents
- Any other conditions that could affect the safety of clients
We reschedule tours wherever possible. If we are forced to cancel tours from our end, payments will be refunded. Please be aware that fees deducted by our booking system cannot be refunded.
Gift card-based hire or tours will be rescheduled.
Sometimes you may not be able to attend your hire, tour or camping on your booked day. Rather than refunding, we willingly reschedule bookings to a future date of your choice as many times as is required so that you can fully enjoy your trip. Please be aware that fees deducted by our booking system cannot be refunded.